Taking Care of your Safety Razor
Safety Razors should last you years, if not a lifetime. Although, if you do not take care of your safety razor properly, this won’t happen. In this post, we will provide you with some rust prevention and safety razor cleaning methods.
Don’t leave it in the shower or bath:
Although leaving it in the shower is an easy and lazy way to store your razor, it will rust your safety razor. If it doesn't rust, it will get dirty. Either way is preventable by storing it outside of the shower, on a vanity or even on a razor stand.
Dry it after each use:
To prevent this rust and dirt build up, rinse and dry your razor after every use. While you towel off, towel off your razor too. Dry both the body and the blade as rust will spread. It may just start with a little but it will end up being the whole razor.
Store in a place dry:
From a cabinet to on your vanity make sure the razor can not get wet. While also being stored somewhere dry, make sure it is sturdy, if your razor drops, it will break. Although breaking it may not be the worst of your worries. While reaching for your safety razor, it could drop and cut you. Safety Razors are sharp, this will hurt a lot.
Regular Cleaning method:
Soap, warm water, and an old toothbrush. This cleaning method is not only good for cleaning your razor but it also reduces waste by recycling an old toothbrush to use as a cleaning tool. Toothbrushes work great to reach small spaces in your razor.
- Run your razor under warm water
- Put a little bit of soap on your toothbrush and start scrubbing. You can use dish soap or any type of liquid soaps.
- Rinse the soap off and dry off your razor
Deep Cleaning method:
This cleaning method is recommended for a monthly or yearly clean, not all the time.
- Soak your safety razor in a mix of half warm water and half white vinegar.
- Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda. This will get very fizzy and start attacking the rust
- Let your razor soak for 1-2 hours
- Wipe away all the rust using a rag or toothbrush, rinse and dry.
For a good clean, every tiny bit of trust has to be gone.l If not, it will come back instantly. If you clean it thoroughly, you won't have to do it so often. Follow all of these steps, and your razor will last years!